Tuesday, January 26, 2010



This is my DH's new idea for our Florida garden. (Do gardeners ever stop trying to improve their gardens?) He traded some handyman work for these steel planters. He is planning to use them as raised gardens next year. Before we leave for the North this spring, he will clean out this year's garden, then fill the planters with a mixture of soil and horse manure.

We have two 6'x10' planters with 10 inch sides with a walkway between them. DH painted them Rustoleum hunter green and they are shiny and attractive.

BTW, he installed the planters around the present garden. As you can see, the plants held up pretty well under the freezing temps. We have cabbage, romaine lettuce, several lettuces, and onions in this planting. The other planter has tiny lettuce plants that he just transplanted from the cells and cauliflower and broccoli.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I love your blog! I live in Florida(and will be trying my first vegetable garden this fall/winter. I plan on growing lettuce(3 versions) broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, and beets. I was wondering, with your garden- do you suggest starting any of the seed in starter containers? or is it just as good to plant the seeds directly in the ground. you mentioned your husband started some of his crops in containers-I didn't know if one was better than the other.

    ReplyDelete