Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Recipe: Freezing Sweet Corn

Hooray! It's finally that time of year when sweet corn grows abundantly. If you can't eat all your harvest right now, freeze sweet corn for a taste of the garden in the winter. This year has been a fantastic growing season for us. We grew Northern Extra Sweet and How Sweet It Is. Both varieties are filling out the cob well and I can't decide which one I like better.

My girlfriend gave me the following recipe to add to your bags of corn before you freeze them.

FREEZING SWEET CORN ADD-IN

9 c. Corn  (I blanch the corn for about 4-6 minutes, cool, and cut kernels off the cob.)
3 c. water
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. salt
Mix the water, sugar and salt together. Add a small amount to each bag, then freeze.

When cooking, dump the contents of the bag into a microwaveable bowl. Depending on your microwave and amount in the bowl, cook for about 3 minutes.
Deliciously sweet, sweet corn!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. I'll have to try it with some of the corn I freeze. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete