Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cauliflower Salad Recipe Re-discovered


Alright, I admit that I really need to go through my recipe box and re-organize. I happily discovered this Cauliflower Salad recipe when rummaging for a different salad recipe in one of the index card file boxes which house my recipes. Yes, filed in S for salad, not C for cauliflower. (My daughters laugh at my filing method....)
This is a special recipe because it is written out in my mother's distinct Zaner-Bloser handwriting which she taught as a second grade teacher. Beautiful writing on a yellowed blue lined sheet of paper. She passed away in 1993, so finding this brought back great memories of sharing recipes.

I made up the salad, and, after the first bite, my husband said, "This is good." I haven't made it for awhile as you can tell from this story. It was a refreshing way to use up the cauliflower and lettuce we are in the final stages of harvesting. The dressing would be good for any veggie salad I think, easily prepared and kept in the refrigerator if you can't use all of it at one time. Enjoy...


Cauliflower Salad


1 head lettuce
1 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled
1 medium onion, chopped
1 head of cauliflower, broken up
1/2 c. parmesan cheese (I used colby shredded cause that's what I had)

Layer above ingredients in order.
Mix:
1 c. sour cream (light would be okay to use if you like the flavor)
1 c. mayo (I used light Miracle Whip dressing)
1/2 c. sugar

Pour over salad. Toss before serving. It would be fun to experiment adding other veggies and ingredients such as raisins, nuts, sunflower seeds.....

Thanks, Mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment