Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Delicious Greens



I am beginning to pick up a distinctive nose twitching as I look in the mirror this week. I attribute it to all the lettuce we are eating now. We have had great success with lettuce crops. Not only do the salads taste good and fresh, they are so pretty too! Ted planted several kinds of lettuce with colors other than green.

He has the usual Bibb lettuce, a spotted one called Freckles, and a very deep red one called Deer Tongue. When I mix in the dark green leaves of spinach, radishes, and fresh onions, I feel like an artist designing a painting. (I never thought I would arrange lettuce to look as pretty as a bouquet of flowers.)

In the photo there are carrots and cheese, but neither came from our garden............

Swiss chard is ready now too, so today I will experiment with this in a salad. We have never grown it, so it will be a new experience. Do you grow it? If so, how do you prepare it? Fresh, boiled,???

Oh dear, there goes that twitching nose again...

2 comments:

  1. That salad looks delicious. We've got spinach growing, and it is wonderful: not bitter at all. I've never tried Swiss chard; in fact, I'm ashamed to say I don't even know what it is. Maybe next year I'll try it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Elle. I have been poring over recipes for Swiss chard and am going to try one tonite--saute it in olive oil with garlic....have no idea either what it will taste like...I'll give you a report...

    ReplyDelete